Thursday, 25 October 2012

Deconstruction of a Documentary

* clip needed *

The documentary I watched and deconstructed really helped me get my ideas together for what I wanted to do for my own product. The characters of the documentary were young people which gave it a fresh insight into street life, rather than getting facts and figures from people behind a desk. It also gave me an idea of how sequencing works within a documentary, as there seems to be a formula of making a point (eg. young youths tend to turn to crime on the estate) →  giving an example of that point (an interview with a youth who has turned to crime) → validating that point (statistics/interview with a youth worker). This has helped me with my script and story board as I can split my documentary up in regards to the points I want to make.
     It has also helped me with mis-en-scene and costumes for my product, as the Hackney documentary and my documentary are on very similar topics. I can take inspiration from the settings and camera shots (for example, high shots of tall buildings to give the impression of urban life).

No comments:

Post a Comment